Saturday, May 16, 2009
• 400g plain flour, sifted
• 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
• 1 tbs baking powder
• Grated zest of 1 orange
• 1 punnet (250g) strawberries, chopped
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 300ml buttermilk
• 80g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
• Icing sugar (optional), to dust
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, then stir in berries with a wooden spoon. Mix eggs, buttermilk and butter in another bowl, then add to dry ingredients. Stir to just combine - don't over mix. Pour into pans. Bake for 15-18 minutes until risen and pale golden. Cool. Dust with icing sugar, if desired.
Can substitute milk for buttermilk and chopped white chocolate can be added.
delicious. - February 2008, Page 116
Recipe by Valli Little. Photography by Brett Stevens