The last time we had this dish I had a helper in the kitchen; this person misread the ingredients and added half a cup of salt instead of half a cup of salt reduced stock---do not make this mistake!!!!! Half a cup of salt is gross!!!!!
From Super Food Ideas - September 2007, Page 58 Recipe by Veronica Cuskelly
Beef and lentil slice
Ingredients (serves 4)
• olive oil cooking spray
• 2 slices soy and linseed bread
• 2 small red onions
• 2 carrots, peeled, trimmed
• 450g extra-lean beef mince
• 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
• 1 egg white, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup salt-reduced beef stock
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 5cmdeep, 20cm (base) square ovenproof dish with oil. Place bread in a food processor. Process to fine crumbs.
2. Finely chop 1 onion and 1 carrot and place in a large bowl. Add mince, 3/4 cup of lentils, eggwhite and stock. Mix until well combined. Press mixture firmly into prepared dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Preheat a grill on high heat. Place slice under grill for 5 minutes or until browned.
I added a few fat garlic cloves and a grated zucchini to the recipe and like others, cooked all the veges down first
I, as well, cooked off the carrot and onion before adding to mix.I cooked off the onion and carrot before combining the ingredients,
I also swapped one of the carrots for a couple sticks of celery