I keep vats of this in the freezer, it's great over any pasta, especially a quick cannelloni throw together as well as over meat or chicken.
When I was a child my mum would make this and leave all the vegetables in chunks, but my kids do not like to see their vegetables lol.
I puree it all and get a velvety smooth rich sauce, rich in vegetables, vitamins and minerals with no nasty additives!
Jen's Tomato pasta sauce.
• 2+ Large onions, sliced or chopped
• Zucchinis, grated or chopped finely
• 2+ cloves Garlic
• Carrots grated or chopped finely.
• Any other vegetables, the more the better
• Can(s) of tomato puree
• Can(s) of tomatoes, whole or chopped.
• Can of tomato soup (optional)
• Oil for frying
• Brown sugar (secret, necessary and vital ingredient, the sugar removes the acid from the tomatoes and makes it kid friendly)
Pan fry garlic and onions until soft, ADD brown sugar to caramelize. Add chopped vegetables and fry for 5 minutes whilst stirring. Add cans of tomatoes and lightly simmer for 20 minutes and season to taste. Cool. Blend or process until smooth (kids don’t like to see that they are consuming multiple vegetables). Freezes wonderfully.