Thursday, January 7, 2010
Beef & red lentil curry
• 3 (about 600g) beef scotch fillet steak, cut into 4cm pieces
• 80g (1/3 cup) Indian curry paste
• 2 teaspoon light olive oil
• 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
• 210g (1 cup) split red lentils
• 375ml (1 1/2 cups) beef stock
• 1 x 270ml can light coconut milk
• 125ml (1/2 cup) water
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
• 4 naan bread
• Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Place the beef and half the curry paste in a glass or ceramic bowl, and turn to coat. Heat half the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until the onion softens slightly. Stir in the remaining curry paste.
3. Add the lentils, stock, coconut milk and water to the pan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and simmer for a further 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the chopped coriander.
4. Meanwhile, heat the naan bread following packet directions.
5. Divide the curry among serving bowls and top with the coriander leaves. Serve with the naan bread.
Australian Good Taste - July 2007, Page 40
Recipe by Alison Adams
Photography by Ben Dearnley, Mark O'Meara and Steve Brown