These taste just like the ones you would by at a big name fast food chain, but if you make them you are guaranteed of the quality. After making and tasting these I will never, every buy frozen chicken nuggets again.
• 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
• 2 cups (200g) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
• salt and cracked black pepper
• flour, for dusting
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 3 chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
• lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 210°C. Place the mixed herbs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix until combined, then set aside. Place the flour in another bowl and the eggs in a third bowl. Toss the chicken cubes in the flour, dusting off any excess. Working in batches, dip the chicken pieces into the egg, then the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat well.
2. Once all the chicken is crumbed, heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook the chicken in batches until golden. Remove and transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place in oven for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve chicken with lemon wedges and a little whole egg mayonnaise for dipping, if desired.
Simply Food - February 2008, Page 4
Recipe by Kate Murdoch. Photography by Oliver Ford