Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1/2 cup (50g) breadcrumbs
• 400g beef mince
• 300g pork mince
• 1 zucchini, grated
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
• 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
• salt and cracked black pepper
• 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced
• 1/3 (40g) cup low-fat grated cheddar cheese
• steamed vegetables, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place breadcrumbs, mince, zucchini, carrot, egg, garlic, sauces, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
2. Transfer mince mixture to a lightly greased 10cm x 20cm (1.5L) loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Top with sliced tomato and cheese and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Notes & tips
• This meatloaf can be served hot or cold and makes a great sandwich filling, paired with tomato chutney.
Simply Food - June 2007, Page 5
Recipe by Kate Murdoch