I tried this when I was 15 months pregnant with Ben and ate about 4 slices, it was that good (maybe this is why he was nearly 10 lb born?). I copied down the recipe and was smitten by the language, Nigella describes cooking so lusciously ( I have since found the recipe online here.) I have cooked this many times, always with great success, regular guest often request this.
Pavlova is not that hard to make if you follow some rules;
- Mixing; you can not save time, you must mix the sugar into the egg whites completely, set a timer and spend no less than 15 minutes combining!
- The structure; I trace a small dinner plate on the back of baking paper and use it as a guide for the shape. Once I have the mixture in shape, I stroke up the sides with a hot knife and create vertical ridges, this helps the pavlova keep its shape.
- Once cooled the pavlova centre will collapse, this is normal!!!! It is where you dollop your double cream and raspberries
- 6 egg whites
- 300g Castor Sugar
- 3 tbls Cocoa powder, sieved
- 1 tbls Balsamic vinegar
- 50g dark chocolate finely chopped
Preheat oven to 180º and line baking tray with greased baking paper.
Beat the egg whites until satiny peaks form and then beat in the sugar a spoon full at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
Sprinkle over the cocoa and vinegar and the chopped chocolate. Then gently fold everything until the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in.
Mould on to the baking tray in a fat circle about 23cm in diameter, smoothing the sides and top.
Place in oven and immediately turn the temp. down to 150º and cook for 1-1¼ hours.
When it is ready it should look crisp around the edges and on the side and dry on top, but when you prod it you should feel the promise of squidgeness beneath your fingers.
Turn off the oven and open the door slightly and let the chocolate meringue disc cool completely.
Serve covered in double cream, raspberries/strawberries and grated chocolate.
- I use 8 eggs as our eggs are small.
- I have x1½ the recipe successfully.
- Our fan forced oven only takes 45-55min.
- Secret to success is the mixing; I time the adding of the sugar to a minimum of 15min.