Ingredients (serves 4)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and halved (quartered if extra large)
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garam masala (see note)
• 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 cup tomato puree
• 1/3 cup thick natural yoghurt
• 1/2 cup thickened cream
• warm roti, to serve
• 1/4 cup toasted flaked almonds, to serve
• coriander leaves, to serve
1. Heat oil and half the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, until browned. Remove to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining butter. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add coriander, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato puree and a pinch of salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Return chicken to saucepan with yoghurt and cream. Simmer a further 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with almonds and coriander. Serve with roti.
Super Food Ideas - August 2003, Page 50
Recipe by Alison Adams Photography by Louise Lister
My kids love this, very mild and creamy even though I substitute tinned skimmed reduced milk for the cream.