Thursday, January 14, 2010

EASY BOIL FRUIT CAKE by De

This is a family recipe passed down through the Smith family which they kindly shared with me. This is the best ever fruit cake similar in style to a Christmas pudding (I actually use it as a Christmas pudding) it is very moist, probably because I tip so much alcohol over it!
I start the cake a week early by soaking the fruit in alcohol (what ever I have, usually sherry) stirring and topping up daily with more sherry. I save the good stuff (brandy, scotch, liqueur etc) for tipping over the cooling cooked cake, probably about 2 cups.

1 cup Brown sugar
125g Butter
600 g Mixed fruit
1 cup of Water
1 Large tablespoon Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon Bi-carb soda
! teaspoon Mixed spice

Combine and boil for 5 minutes- then leave to cool

Add and blend together

2 beaten eggs
1 Cup of SR Flour
1 cup Plain Flour
½ cup of Alcohol (Sherry, Brandy, Rum but leave out GJ’s Scotch)


Bake for 1.5 hours slowly, 130 degrees

While cake is hot pierce with all over and flood with more alcohol

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment